Sunday 31 January 2016

First sight of juvenile Goshawk in flight!

Juvenile Goshawk, N Apennines, 29.viii.12. 
Getting to the end of summer 2012, with Goshawk nesting now a couple of months past, I was not optimistic about the chances of catching sight of a Goshawk again until the next breeding season.  Although still hot in direct sunshine there was a new autumnal feel to the days: cooler, breezy, and misty.

On 29 August I'd got out to the end of the 'spur' watchpoint quite late and was systematically looking around over the slopes and valleys below, hoping to find a Honey-buzzard.  I tried to keep an eye also on the sky behind me, over the spur ridge and the valleys either side.  At 10.55, when completing another quick scan behind me, through a helpful gap in the ridgeline trees I just saw a medium-large raptor lift fast into sight from the adjacent narrow wooded valley.  First impression was of a possible Honey-buzzard, with a typical large well spread tail; but as it began to gain height in fast circles, putting evident power into the tight turns, I saw the streaked breast of a juvenile Goshawk!

Juvenile Goshawk Accipiter gentilis, N Apennines, 29.viii.2012. Panasonic FZ45
It was very soon too high for such detail, and too distant for more prolonged study of appearance in flight, but this felt like an important step.  Not only had I just had a decent look at a fresh juvenile, I realised belatedly that even if the adult birds resume their cryptic behaviour there might be further opportunities at this time of year to see young Goshawks exploring their surroundings.  Could this bird have been from the nest whose breeding male I saw several times earlier in the year (about 2 kms to the southeast of the spur end), or from another nest in the local area?

No comments:

Post a Comment